Tags

, , ,

Gosh, has it really been two months since I last posted? Yeeks. Sorry about that.  *taps microphone* Anyone still there?

So, for those who are still following, yes, I’ve been doing a whole lot of sewing, just not stuff to post. For instance, my husband needed a vest to wear to work, because we just couldn’t find anything in any store that was long enough for him. So I had a whole adventure in trying to make clothing for the first time in,… well, I think ever. Fortunately it worked out (just had to figure out how to lengthen a pattern I found at the fabric store), and now I’ll have to make a second one as a back-up.

But I wanted to share what I’ve been doing with scraps lately. Every quilter or sewist has a scrap pile. Every. Single. One. And sometimes our scrap piles start threatening to take over the sewing areas,  so something has to be done. I decided to grab up a bunch of scraps in two different color themes and make some preemie quilts. The rules for these projects were simple: I could only use fabrics in my scrap piles, no “fresh” cuts from yardage (except for the backs); and they had to end up being around 20″ square when finished.

Pink, yellow and white strips assembled into a preemie quilt top.

Pink, yellow and white strips assembled into a preemie quilt top.

For the first one, most of the scraps were already in strips so I just started adding them together in a relatively random manner. I was planning on using just pink and white, but I decided that I really liked the yellow in there, too (to bring out the yellow in one of the flower fabrics). Even the long strips here are from the scrap pile.

First preemie scrap puzzle, quilted and binding sewn to front.

First preemie scrap puzzle, quilted and binding sewn to front.

I found a fairly neutral flower print for the back, did machine quilting in long lines to follow the overall stripe theme, then used some of the longer scraps to make the binding. Realized that some of them were pretty short once you dealt with the angles of making binding, so used the seam ripper a bit here! Makes for a slightly bumpier binding, but it’s not too bad. And when I was done, this is all that was left (with one addition just to make it complete):

Leftover leftovers.

Leftover leftovers.

Nope, don’t have a clue what I’m going to do with that. Maybe make a small clutch purse or something.

I’ll save the second scrap quilt for another post.  🙂  Have a fabulous day!

ps: I’ll try not to wait 2 months before posting again…

Advertisements